Jonas back home

Jonas back home

By: Lesley Tjiueza
Namibia’s boxer Jonas Junias Jonas who was the country’s 2016 Olympic flag-bearer and war arrested for alleged Sexual Assault was released but might still return to Brazil to face trail.

258 days later Jonas Junius Jonas has been released after relentless efforts Namibian National Olympic Committee. Jonas was arrested in Brazil during last year’s Olympic Games for alleged sexual assault. The NNOC kept it hush-hush until Jonas appeared in the Room much to the delight of fellow countrymen.
Advocate Jesse Scheckirling who was the Chef de Mission when Namibia was at the Olympics explained the events leading to Jonas’ release.
“On Monday, the High Court in Rio decided to relax Jonas' conditions, allowing him to return to Namibia, pending the finalisation of proceedings in Brazil,” he said.
He added that Jonas is currently awaiting a ruling by the High Court in Brazil

Jonas himself appeared in high spirit and was relieved saying he kept his head high despite receiving a few negative comments.
“All the support I got throughout really helped me while in Brazil. I trained while I was there and I still want to accomplish my dream of winning a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games and then the Olympics before I turn professional.”Said Jonas
Despite the case being Sub-judice, Jonas maintained his innocence saying he did nothing wrong.
“Nothing happened. That’s all I can say. Those who knows me will tell you that.” He said.
Jonas is now free to travel the world and already he will be lined up to fly the flag for Namibia at the Commonwealth games in Australia later this year and already he is targeting silverware.
Joane Smith of the NNOC thanked everyone involved for supporting Jonas during this difficult time.
The Judgement will now depend on a Brazilian Judge who was said to be on Leave. If Jonas is to appear in court again he will have to be accompanied by Erastus Lazarus (the Namibia military attaché in Brazil) whom he was remanded to.